Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rock Bottom

Friday night I hit rock bottom.


Friday morning I went to my 9:30 kickboxing class. I was very proud of myself for making it, because the night before I went out (drinking) and got home late. After the class, I spent way too long looking for the final piece of the 3-part gift for my New York Cares Winter Wishes letter. Then I showered, got dressed, and drove to Westbury for my hair appointment. I was an hour late to the appointment and I had to wait at the salon. I paid for my cut and the receptionist gave me a custom-made chocolate bar with the name of the salon on the wrapper.


That was the only thing I ate the whole day.


I rushed home, wrapped my gift, put on makeup and drove to the LIRR train station. The plan was to take the train into work, drop off the gift, and then make it to the company holiday party.


At Jamaica station, I had the choice of getting off the train and switching to an express train to Penn Station. I hesitated. The doors closed, and I missed that opportunity.


That was my first mistake.


Two men in orange vests walked swiftly down the aisle of the train. Announcements were made that the train was having equipment problems. An hour and a half later, we had switched to another train and made it to Penn Station. I had the thought of quickly getting a slice of pizza to calm my hunger, but I figured I was almost at the party and there would be food there, so I just got straight on the subway.


That was my second mistake.


I got off the E train at 53rd and 5th, and dropped off the gift. Then I got back on the train and spent way too long trying to find the hotel where the party was being held. I bought a Santa hat for the party. I had armpit stains from the stress.


I finally found the party and immediately ordered a drink. I mingled, received compliments for my Santa hat, and drank more. Everywhere I turned I found someone to say something to, and I would leave them to get refills. I started many conversations, and I wonder if I finished any.


At some point I saw that people were lining up for food. My best friend and colleague said she was getting pasta from a different line, and asked if I wanted to get some. I said I didn't want pasta.


That was my third mistake.


Very shortly after that I began to black out. I don't remember leaving the company party, but I remember walking to the after-party. My memory is spotty, but there are flashes of events. Talking to a man dressed in all black. Ordering three sambuca shots. Frantically looking for my wallet. Going into a bathroom stall. Waking up in Long Island, hearing my sister's voice and feeling her hold me by the arm, taking me to the car where my parents were waiting. The next day my pajamas were on backwards.


It was incredibly stupid to drink without eating...at a party...with my coworkers/bosses/future references. I'm so ashamed.


So many questions left unanswered.


What did I do? What did I say?

Who saw me? Who heard me?

What do people think of me now?


I've never wanted a rewind button so badly before.


And what happened to my Santa hat?

1 comment:

  1. Hola Prima, parece una historia de locos esa que acabas de contar, sin embargo y aunque comprendo que estabas rodeada de gente que posiblemente tenga alguna importancia en tus planes a futuro, te digo... que importa lo que piensen de ti?

    Tal vez no haya sido una buena experiencia, tal vez no haya sido un buen instante, tal vez no sea la forma adecuada de comportamiento, pero finalmente ya pasó, y pues creo que pueden existir muchisimas cosas más importantes de tu personalidad o de tu forma de trabajar que una simple noche alocada.

    Te mando un abrazo enorme y pues lo unico q si lamento, es que hayas perdido tu gorro navideño

    ReplyDelete