Sunday, May 2, 2010

Adventures of Flat James


I was asked to continue a school project called "The Adventures of Flat James." It's a project based on a story called "Flat Stanley," about a boy who becomes flat because a bulletin board falls on him. He is able to go on many adventures because of his flatness (I imagine him drifting in the wind, like the plastic bag in "American Beauty"). Kids made flat people (only Flat James found his way to my life) to represent themselves and sent them around the U.S. to see how many places their flat people would visit.

After having Flat James for a few days, I'm told to send him off to someone else. Whoever has Flat James on May 14 is supposed to return him to the school where the project originated.

In the few days that I've had Flat James, I've taken him to a community graffiti clean-up project in Brentwood, Long Island, New York:


Flat James also attended a May Day rally in Union Square, NYC:



Flat James had great conversations with people on all sides of the immigration debate. He felt happy to live in a society where people have the freedom to peacefully assemble. He told me.


4 comments:

  1. I thought this was so cool! Who gave him to you and what school did he come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was from a Deer Park school. Ana's brother-in-law's son James was the one who had the assignment, and they passed it on to Steve's sister (owner of Toast) and then Steve, and Steve passed it on to me.

    ReplyDelete