Monday, May 17, 2010

Narcissistic Description of Illness

My blog has not been updated lately, mostly due to my feeling under the weather. I've diagnosed myself with an ear infection and strep throat. Normally, I would go to a doctor, but without health insurance, I have had to make the best use of webmd.com

It's been years since I've had symptoms quite like these. (Reader, prepare yourself for some exciting descriptions of unpleasant symptoms!) For about a week, I'd had mild pain in my ears and throat, but Thursday night I had a terrible, sleepless night. I spent half the night shivering, and the other half sweating profusely. I had an insatiable thirst and a relentless headache.

Friday, I spent most of the day in bed. I felt pain all over my body, and the fever persisted. My only relief came during a 20-minute visit from my friend, because love can be quite the antidote.

Saturday the fever and headache went away, but I started to feel pain in my right ear, and there was yellow drainage continually coming out of my ear. (Yes, liquidy gross-ness!) My throat was very sore, making it extremely painful to swallow my own saliva.

But Saturday I went out to celebrate my friend Bridget's 25th birthday anyway. I was feeling drowsy on the train to NYC, and when we arrived at the restaurant, I nearly fell asleep sitting at the bar. (Sorry, Camilo!) Then, after having some chips and salsa, I had to run to the restroom because I was feeling nauseous. There was someone in the stall, so yes - I had to puke in the bathroom sink. Woops. Luckily, no one saw me, and I tried to be as discreet as possible. I try to be a considerate sick person, when I can.

After drinking many glasses of water, and feasting on some Mexican-inspired food, I felt much better.

But, this morning I had the oddest symptom. Listening to the radio, I thought there was something wrong with the radio because the voices sounded robotic and dissonant. Then, when I went to the gym, I realized my ears were the source of dissonance because everyone sounded metallic and robotic.

Sidenote: I decided to try spinning (or cycling) and my crotch hurts SO MUCH from the bicycle seat! I've had to pick a fleshy butt cheek and sit on it all day, alternating for evenness.

I've managed to take unexpired antibiotics leftover from previous prescriptions, but I'm concerned about my trip to Guatemala. I leave this Thursday, and I would hate to be useless and sick - especially at that altitude.

Till then, much water and rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment