Thursday, May 6, 2010

Feminism, according to Alanis

Those who know me well understand that Alanis Morissette is a very important figure to me. My sister said the other day that she wished Alanis and I could be friends because our brains are connected somehow. Her influence has been so profound that I don't even know how much of our personalities are similar because of coincidence or because I've let myself be led by her example.

I believe Alanis' art provides a clear and beautiful glimpse into the inner human condition, and her openness and honesty is a model that should be infinitely replicated.

I was pleased to learn today that Alanis Morissette has almost completed her first book (excellent birthday present idea, wink wink) and I can't wait to read it. She recently wrote an essay about feminism.

As a side note, I wanted to mention that you can really see the Buddhist influence in her writing. One of her biggest influences is a Zen Buddhist teacher named Adyashanti and here's quote from his book "Emptiness Dancing," where he describes his moment of awakening or enlightenment:

"All in the step of a foot, everything disappeared. What arose was an image of what seemed like an infinite number of past incarnations, as if heads were lined up one behind another as far back as I could see. Awareness realized something like, 'My God, I've been identified with various forms for umpteen lifetimes.' ... All of a sudden, consciousness was unconfined to the form and existed independently...It was like someone just stuck a million dollars in my pocket, and I kept pulling it out as if I didn't believe I had it. But it couldn't be denied either. Even though I am using the word 'I", there was no 'I', only the One....This was the awakening, the realization of Self."


My favorite part of Alanis' article is this:

"[T]he days of believing that any one person singlehandedly and messianically can create a profound sea change are over (and perhaps never really existed). And how our overly identifying with this role as "feminist who deserves credit for singlehandedly changing the world" can actually distract us from doing what we need to do to move forward in consciousness."

I think that passage speaks to many things, but especially the need for community and grassroots...everything. Grassroots organizing, education, community gardens, popular education, neighborhood watch groups, local farmers' markets, and so on.

Some of the Tea Party people are crazy, but I can agree that too many people are relying on the government for things they can very well handle on their own. Of course, part of the grassroots organizing that is critical is the kind that lobbies local council members and congress members for changes in laws that are a priority for particular communities.

I don't think I'm an anarchist, but a little more anarchy might just do a lot of good.


3 comments:

  1. Fredo, you're too kind :) thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. People should always remember to be living proof that they are not dead.

    ReplyDelete